Di Arbuthnot, Chief Executive
T: 01488 648998
Retraining of Racehorses
75 High Holborn
London WC1V 6LS
UK Registered Charity No: 1084787
View Terms and Conditions
RoR Polo Series
A well established RoR Series and the RoR Racing to Polo Challenge, with substantial cash prizes to the most successful ex-racehorses on the polo circuit.
RoR Polo Series sponsored by Lycetts - High, Medium and Low Goal Prizes
Lycetts are sponsoring a high goal prize of £1,000 to be awarded at the HPA dinner in July; the winner of this award will be eligible for the RoR Polo Pony champion prize awarded at the awards evening in November (a bonus of £1,500). To be eligible to win this award, ponies must have raced in GB and be registered with RoR (using their racing name please).
RoR/Lycetts will be giving prizes at some high, medium and low goal games, see dates below, as well as the Junior HPA tournament final in August.
RoR Racing to Polo Challenge 2014
RoR will be holding its Racing to Polo Challenge at the Royal County of Berkshire Polo Club on Monday 1st September from 3.30 pm – 6.00 pm followed by prize giving.
- All horses must have raced in GB and be registered with RoR (using their racing name please).
- Passports must accompany ponies to the competition for inspection and verification by microchip scanning.
- Riders must be 2 goal and above. However, players with a handicap of less than 2 goals may apply to ride if they are the owner/rider or ride for the stable. The application will be subject to approval of the panel. Riders dress as for polo, whites and polo shirt.
- On arrival at the competition, a vet will check ponies for soundness with a trot-up, any pony that fails the trot-up will not be allowed to compete.
- The competition will be divided into four classes in the following age groups: 3yo’s, 4yo’s, 5yo's, 6yo’s and upwards.
- In 6yo's + age group, previous winners of the RoR Polo Challenge are not eligble to win the competition again.
- In all classes ponies will be judged on conformation (a mark for this will be awarded), movement and responsiveness/willingness with marks awarded for performance. Each rider will have 1 1/2 minutes of freestyle display. There will be a turnout mark.
- Judges will look for 3yo's to show balanced transitions through steady paces, rating, some lateral movements and early stages of polo moves, checking and turning, optional change of lead canter, optional introduction of mallet (foot mallet acceptable). Marking - performance 75%, conformation 20%, turnout 5%.
- Judges will look for 4yo's and 5yo's to rate smoothly, move laterally at canter, check and turn, and accept the mallet (foot mallet acceptable). Marking - performance 80%, conformation 15%, turnout 5%
- For 6yo's and upwards, Judges will mark on freestyle display of rider's choice, expecting to see complete polo moves, higher marks for more comprehensive moves including mallet. Marking - performance 85%, conformation 10%, turnout 5%
- The judges will be from a panel of leading polo players; polo pony producers and representatives from RoR/HPA. Judges might ask to ride ponies in the 6yo's and upwards section.
- Prize money will be given down to 6th place in each class. Classes will be balloted if necessary.
- The prizes for each of the four classes will be £1,000 to the winner, £500 for the second placed pony, and £300 for 3rd, £200 for 4th, £100 for 5th, £100 for 6th.
- Grooms prizes will be given for the best turned out in each section and a Special prize to the groom of the overall best turned out pony.
- The first two placed in each section will be asked to come forward for prize giving and the overall Champion will be judged from the 5yo and 6yo and upwards sections and will receive the Balding Trophy and an additional cheque for £500. The overall champion will also be nominated for a bonus award (£1000). Should they win the overall award, the owner or a representative will be asked to attend a RoR Awards Ceremony, date and venue to be confirmed.
- A Doctor and Vet will be on duty throughout the competition.
- Tea and refreshments will be available.
To enter click here to download the entry form, please complete and return by e-mail to email@example.com or post to: Racing to Polo Entry, Retraining of Racehorses, Ash Cottage, Back Street, East Garston, Hungerford, Berkshire RG17 7EX.
All enquiries, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or telephone 01488 648998.
RoR Racing to Polo Challenge Results 2014
Everyone enjoyed a great day at the RoR Racing to Polo Challenge on 1st September at the Royal County of Berkshire Polo Club. The competition also had a record turnout of 68 participants.
Overall Champion of the day was Tiny Tittle, owned and ridden by Roddy Matthews, who was presented with The Balding Trophy and an additional £1,000 in prize money. The partnership also won the five-year-old division, and this mare certainly proved she is much better suited to polo having run just once on the racecourse without success.
Other winners at the RoR Racing to Polo Challenge were Maysville, a three-year-old-filly, owned and ridden by Ben Eeley, who was not long out of training having last raced in June this year; another filly Edna, owned and ridden by Ben Turner, won the four-year-old division; and in the final six-year-olds and upwards division the mare Twisted Wings took the first prize, ridden by Freddie Horne. For the full results see below:
Class one – 3 year olds
1st Maysville – Owned and ridden by Ben Eeley.
2nd Ivan B – Owned by Sarah & Jason Coupe. Ridden by Jason Coupe.
3rd Kindanyce – Owned by Jack Richardson. Ridden by Dean Marks.
4th Marsden Cuckoo – Owned and ridden by Henry Brett.
5th Roodee Lady – Owned by F King Polo. Ridden by Oscar Mancini.
6th Outback Lover – Owned and ridden by Sebastian Chialvo.
Class two – 4 year olds
1st Edna – Owned and ridden by Ben Turner.
2nd Vonn – Owned by Jack Richardson. Ridden by Dean Marks.
3rd Sarahmanda – Owned by JC Boher. Ridden by Roddy Stanning.
4th Hilda Ogden – Owned by Antonio Javier Quaintana. Ridden by Henry Brett.
5th Medici Dancer – Owned by Alan Kent. Ridden by Freddie Horne.
6th Chandelle Celeste – Owned and ridden by Sebastian Chialvo.
Class three – 5 year olds
1st Tiny Tittle – Owned and ridden by Roddy Matthews.
2nd Red All Over – Owned and ridden by Ben Eeley.
3rd Cool Light – Owned and ridden by Roddy Matthews.
4th Fantastic Indian – Owned and ridden by Mat Lodder.
5th Shout For Joy – Owned by Adele Lewis. Ridden by Matthew Simpson.
6th Lady Jane Grace – Owned by Rebecca Blandford. Ridden by Sebastian Chialvo.
Class four – 6 year olds +
1st Twisted Wings – Owned by Alan Kent. Ridden by Freddie Horne.
2nd Madam Superior – Owned by Nicola Foley. Ridden by Roddy Williams.
3rd Molly Mylenis – Owned by Alan Kent. Ridden by Freddie Horne.
4th Complicate – Owned and ridden by Roddy Matthews.
5th Mr Cheers – Owned and ridden by Roddy Williams.
6th Talkin Italian – Owned by Stephen Biddlecombe. Ridden by Ed Winterton.
RoR Polo Series sponsored by Lycetts - Dates 2014
In 2014, RoR/Lycetts will give prizes at the international matches below. In addition, there will be prizes at the Junior HPA tournament final in August, as well as in selected medium and low goal games.
1st June - GERALD BALDING CUP, Cirencester
Winner : LUCY'S LADY - Michael Henderson
21st June - AUDI INTERNATIONAL, Beaufort
Winner : MISS BOUGGIE WOUGGIE - George Meyrick
16th - GOLD CUP SEMI FINALS, Cowdray
Winners: MARMITE - Mark Tomlinson and SHANNON Gonzalito Pieres
YOUNG PRODUCER (UNDER 25) OF FORMER RACEHORSES TO POLO PONIES
6th - AUDI INTERNATIONAL - Chester
Winner: TAPER JEAN GIRL - Max Charlton
RoR Racing to Polo Challenge 2013 - Results
Congratulations to the winners of RoR's Racing to polo challenge, which was held on Monday 2nd September at Royal County of Berkshire Polo Club in Winkfield, Berkshire.
1st CASH RICH – owned by Rebecca Blandford (Sebastian Chialvo)
2nd EDNA – owned and played by Ben Turner
3rd MADAM FIFI – Jane Ingleby (Miguel Ayala)
4th SCOOBY’S GIRL – Adele Lewis (Matthew Simpson)
5th POPPY’S PURSE – owned and played by David Ashby
6th CERNANOVA – owned and played by David Ashby
1st COOL LIGHT – owned and played by Roddy Matthews
2nd CLARKSON – Rebecca Blandford (Sebastian Chialvo)
3rd PRINCESS PALMER – owned and played by Oscar Mancini
4th SHOUT FOR JOY – Adele Lewis (Matthew Simpson)
5th SEA OF LIGHT – owned and played by Sebastian Chialvo
6th PONTIUS PILATE – Adele Lewis (Matthew Simpson)
1st TERRY’S FLUTTER – owned and played by Roddy Williams
2nd RED JACARANDA – owned and played by David Ashb
3rd STRIKING LOVE – owned and played by Oliver Hipwood
4th COMPLICATE – owned and played by Roddy Matthews
5th MOLLY MYLENIS – owned by Alan Kent (Brad Mallet)
6th TALKIN ITALIAN – owned by Stephen Biddlecombe (Carlos Maldonado)
1st FLY THE WORLD – owned and played by Roddy Matthews
2nd BAZE MAC – owned and played by David Ashby
3rd MR CHEERS – owned and played by Roddy Williams
4th MISS KADEE – owned and played by David Ashby
5th LOOK UP – owned by Deidre Cordwell (Matt Evetts)
6th WHISTFUL MIST – owned and played by Roddy Matthews
RoR Polo Series 2013 - Dates and Results
In 2013, RoR will give prizes at the international matches, see dates below. In addition, there will be RoR prizes at the Pony Club Polo Championships on 11th August, as well as in selected medium and low goal games.
2nd June - GERALD BALDING - CIRENCESTER
MARLENA - Christian Chaves (Chester polo)
9th June - JOHN PRESTWICH TROPHY - ROYAL BERKSHIRE POLO CLUB
MISS BOUGGIE WOOGIE - George Meyrick
16th June - AUDI INTERNATIONAL, BEAUFORT
PLUM - Malcolm Borwick
17th GOLD CUP SEMI FINALS - Cowdray
LES SOEURS - Matt Perry
FOXY LADY - Adolfo Cambiaso
28th July - AUDI INTERNATIONAL, GUARDS
FLY THE WORLD - George Meyrick
11th August - WARWICKSHIRE CUP, CIRENCESTER
CLARE - Guy Schwarzenbach
9th JHPA SERIES - COWDRAY
- Oliver Cork