Leave a Legacy
Over 7,000 racehorses leave racing every year and with your help we can ensure their future. RoR’s long term vision is to provide a framework to secure new careers for former racehorses to have a life after racing, taking as a first priority the welfare of the horse.
The charity promotes the versatility and adaptability of racehorses for other equestrian activities and provides the necessary infrastructure and funding to care for former racehorses that without charitable intervention may be deemed vulnerable.
Have you considered leaving a gift in your will to help former racehorses?
Many racehorses, after a retraining period, go on to successfully participate in a huge variety of other equine sports. Former racehorses also simply enjoy hacking around the countryside giving their new loving owners much comfort and joy. Some have been invaluable in providing equine assisted therapy for humans, including helping physically and mentally wounded military personnel and children with special educational needs.
Why should I consider leaving a gift to RoR in my Will?
Making a Will is one of the most important things you can do to ensure that your loved ones and the animals you are passionate about will be provided for in the future. We understand you will want to think about this in your own time, and with your family and loved ones in mind.
If you enjoy horseracing and are passionate about horses then remembering RoR in your Will is a way to ensure racehorses have a life after racing. Retraining and providing a home for these Thoroughbreds for the rest of their lives involves a huge amount of time, resources and dedication.
Your gift to RoR can make a real difference and help the charity:
- Facilitate the transition to a second career for horses leaving racing
- Educate the owners and riders who take on former racehorses
- Create opportunities for former racehorses to participate and compete in a range of equine disciplines.
- Protects the welfare of former racehorses, in particular those in need of charitable support.
Leaving a gift to charity in your Will can also reduce the amount your estate pays in Inheritance Tax.
There are many different ways you can give a gift in your Will to RoR, and it is best to discuss these options with your chosen solicitor to understand the options in detail and to assess which is the best choice for you, your other beneficiaries and the charity.
RoR Legacy Society
To express our appreciation for those who have remembered RoR in their Will, the RoR has set up an RoR Legacy Society. Members of the Society care passionately about the future of former racehorses and have chosen to make planned gifts that will ensure the long-term viability of the charity.
RoR honours every planned gift donor with membership in the RoR Legacy Society. As a member, you will enjoy:
- The satisfaction of making a gift that will help ensure the future welfare of former racehorses.
- The opportunity for your gift to be publicly recognised, or if you prefer you may give anonymously.
- Invitations to special RoR events.
Types of Gifts
If you would like to remember RoR in your Will, there are three main types of gifts you can make:
- Residuary Gift - is the gift of all (or part) of the value of your estate after debts, liabilities and other legacies have been paid.
- Pecuniary Gift - is the gift of a particular sum of money.
- Specific - is the gift of a specified item.
RoR does not provide legal services and you should always take independent professional advice.
Our promises to you
- We recognise that your family and loved ones come first.
- We will always respect your privacy and treat you and your family with dignity throughout the process.
- You can tell us if you’ve left a gift, but we understand your right to change your mind.
- Your personal information and gift details will be kept confidential and secure.
- We will use your gift carefully.
Each and every legacy is greatly appreciated and will make a vast difference to the charity’s ability to provide a range of options and opportunities for former racehorses.
If you have decided to include a gift in your Will for RoR, thank you so much for your generosity. Thank you also to those in the racing industry who already provide valuable funding to RoR.
Protecting those former racehorses needing charitable intervention and increasing the number of new owners able to take on a former racehorse is essential to safeguard the future of these intelligent animals.
If you are considering leaving a gift to RoR in your Will or want to find out more please contact Laura O’Neill
T: 01488 648998